FMLA – When you just need time
The Family and Medical Leave Act was created for employees when you or a loved one experiences a serious health condition that requires you to take time off work. FMLA allows you to take up to 12 weeks of job-protected, unpaid, time off in a 12 month period.
As an employee of Mountain Land Rehabilitation you qualify for FMLA benefits under the following conditions:
- 1. You have worked for MLR for at least 12 months (not consecutive, but a break in service over 7 years does not qualify)
- 2. You have worked 1250 hours in the last 12 months (roughly 24 hours a week)
- 3. You work at a location where there are 50 employees in a 75 mile radius.
Reasons for taking FMLA leave might include:
- 1. Serious health condition
- 2. Expand a family
- 3. Military family leave.
While on FMLA leave employees can use PTO they have accrued.
In order to receive FMLA benefits you must provide Mountain Land with appropriate notice. In some cases a medical certification might be needed. Upon returning to work FMLA requires that your employer return to the same job you left or one that is nearly identical.