Preventing Viral Infection
Here is a quick reminder on ways to prevent viral infection and foods to help rebuild your immune system. Your body will love you for it!
You can help prevent viral infections by developing good habits. As mothers or teachers used to say, practice good hygiene…
• Wash hands regularly, especially after using the restroom and before eating.
• Keep commonly touched surfaces like doorknobs, light switches, phones and remote controls clean and sanitized.
• Don’t share personal items like pens, phones or utensils.
• Cover coughs and sneezes in public as a courtesy to others.
• Proper use and disposal of tissues can also prevent the spread of airborne illness.
• Eat a diet rich in vitamins and antioxidants to keep the immune system healthy and functioning well.
The typical duration of a viral infection is about two weeks. Post-infection, it is important to build back up the immune system. Vitamin-rich foods such as oranges, carrots, green beans and strawberries are all good choices. Drinking plenty of fluids also helps to ‘flush out’ the system. Limit sweets, as they raise acidity in the body, making it an environment prone to pathogens. Beginning or resuming a mild exercise routine is also important to return the body to optimum health. Of course, getting sufficient rest is also vital throughout the entire process.